Saturday, April 11, 2009

Adventure 02: Skiing

The ibuprofen is kicking in, helping these sore muscles recover from my first ever ski lesson. 

In a couple of weeks, Mount Washington--the preferred destination in Vancouver Island for winter sports--is closing for the winter season, because the snow will melt, the skis will be packed and the mountain bikes will roll... so that meant we had to go back there if I was to try something more exciting than snow tubing.

We were actually thinking about going to the renown Whistler, north of Vancouver, but we would have spent three times what we paid at Mt. Washington and for the same activities. A friend actually told me that many people from Vancouver fly over to the Comox airport in Vancouver Island and go up to ski in Mt Washington because it is cheaper. For instance, I paid about CA$70 for a 2-hour private lesson, boots, skies and helmet included (and I could keep the equipment for the rest of the day). At Whistler, a private ski lesson (3 hours) is about $345 plus the cost of the equipment and the lift. Another good reason to love Vancouver Island Outdoors.

I must say that skiing is "kinda cool." I'm still a beginner but at least got some basic techniques today (and a few falls, by the way).  

Keith, my instructor, was nice and patient with me, even though my brain and my body were not cooperating this morning. I knew what I had to do to turn right or left, but my legs did something different and downhill I went...

I once tripped on my pole and once the lift went on without me, leaving me splayed on the snow (not the lift on the video below, but a different one that picks you up from the legs). But I just stood again and kept trying.

According to Keith, the secret to ski, is very simple. Are you ready? Here we go, the secret for skiing revealed: stick your butt out. Yeap, that's it. Just bend your knees and keep the painful squatting position so the weight is on the front of the skis and not on the back. That will keep you going. Of course, there is more to ski than showing your attributes, but this little secret will solve most of your problems when you are going downhill. 

I don't have any videos going down this time, but only one one returning to the top for another try.


I'm very proud of my wife and son who did great on their first try snowboarding. Mount Washington is such a neat place, that you just can't skip it if you come to Vancouver Island.  Here's another short video of the scenery there...



Ah, and did I mention that I went snow tubing again? 

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment